Tuesday, March 2, 2010

OB Update and....A Name?

Wow, another OB appointment that didn't go so badly (there were some blech parts, but I want to focus on the good today). It started out with an ultrasound to get good measurements on Baby K. Since I have gestational diabetes, he's at risk for getting too big. Ummm, he's BIG! His weigh was estimated at more than 6lbs already...pretty sure my Week By Week book says he should be like 5lbs. The weight wasn't really a concern though since the ultrasound can be off by as much as half a pound (either way...so he could actually be close to 7! I won't think about that). It was his measurements that showed us a GIANT baby. His head measured at almost 38.5 weeks!!!! I already know we have giant headed kids, but holy cow a whole month ahead! The rest of his measurements put him between 36 and 37 weeks. Still really big!

The ultrasound also showed...HAIR! Lots of hair on the back if his head...he may come out with a mullet, but at least he'll have hair! After checking Baby K's measurements, the tech did a cervical measurement. She took 3 measurements and they all fell between 2.1cm and 2.4cm, so that is GOOD! You could also see my cerclage in the ultrasound, that was a little weird because I've never seen it in one before. She also did a check on my Amniotic fluid levels, which came out at a 9. If I continue to "hang in there" I will have one more ultrasound before my c-section.

Dr. O was at a delivery, so I got to see Dr. C again today. He told me he was very happy to see me today, because that meant I was still pregnant...haha! It was a basic tummy check at that point. I do not go back for 2 weeks (haha, yeah right) because he said at this point, they are happy if I deliver any time after Thursday (when I'm 34 weeks), and other than the risk of uterine rupture & my GD, most of the reasons for me being high-risk are no worse than a normal pregnancy at this point. Even if this were a normal pregnancy, at 34 weeks they do not stop labor if it starts (but in my case, I would just go in for a section if I go into labor).

I did ask him about the cramping I have started having. Now along with every contraction I get horrible cramping. He said if it's really bad, but still not regular, to take some Tylenol and lay down for awhile. However, just like before, if I have more than 4 contractions an hour I am supposed to call and go to L&D. On Thursday I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Now that I am so close, I will reveal that my goal was to make it to 34 weeks. I knew at that point, most preemie issues could be avoided. There could still be problems, but at 34 weeks they are minimal and much more rare than at Julianna's 27 weeks.

And last, but not least, we are 90% sure we have a name for Baby K! It's a name we have been debating since we found out we were expecting, but just weren't positive it was the right one. Today, after seeing ultrasound pics that were so clear we could see the shape of his nose and lips, we knew it was the name we wanted to use. I want to restate that we are NOT telling anyone the name we chose until he is born. That's our surprise for everyone that day. So don't ask, I won't tell :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Comments!