Ok, so for those of you who don't know yet, Baby K will not be being born today. The amnio showed his lungs were borderline mature, so the doctors decided to wait another week and then do another amnio. We were disappointed when we found out, but that all paled in comparison to the shock we received before hand.
During the ultrasound, to get measurements and check for fluid pockets (to get the amnio sample) the sonographer and Dr. G (the MFM doctor doing the amnio) found a possible heart defect in Baby K. There is a slight chance that baby boy was just in a bad position, but more than likely the scan was correct. The defect that was found is not a good one. Just researching a la google, I have learned what Baby K might be facing, and to say I am very worried is a massive understatement.
I don't want to go into details about what might be wrong. We have an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist on Wednesday, and then we will know for sure what baby boy will be dealing with. I do know that I am so thankful for the ultrasound today. Most babies that aren't diagnosed prenatally with this defect do not get diagnosed until it is too late. If baby boy has this defect we will now go into his delivery with a game plan and his chances will be much better.
I will say that our hopes of a NICU free baby are all but gone. If he has this defect, he will need just as much hospitalization as Julianna, actually more. That is devastating to me. After all that was done to keep him baking to avoid the NICU, he will still need to go there.
Once we have our appointment on Wednesday I will give more details, but until then I am still praying we just had a bad scan.
Please pray for Baby K!