Saturday, October 10, 2009

Being Proactive

*Warning: Another pregnancy post that gets into specific details.

Last Spring, before there was a bun in my oven, I did some massive research of what steps could be taken to be sure our next baby wasn't undercooked. I wanted to be sure that I found out as much information as possible. I made a list that consisted of 9 actions that could help my chances of having a full-term pregnancy.

Tonight I started making my list of questions for next week's OB appointment and I revisited that list. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how many of the actions have already taken place and others that are in the works for later in my pregnancy. Here's what I got to cross off my list:
  1. Monitor any 1st trimester bleeding closely-Dr. O took that situation very seriously and luckily it all turned out ok.
  2. Progesterone Supplements-Took those from weeks 4-12.
  3. Monitor for infections-Being done at every appointment.
  4. Ultrasound to monitor cervical length/get a baseline @ 9weeks-Done.
  5. Omega 3 Supplements-I am on a special prenatal that has DHA added in.
  6. P17 Injections-I start them in just 3 weeks.

The last 3 actions are ones that would be taken if things start to go in the wrong direction or if there is any cause for concern:

  1. fFN (fetal fibronectin test)-if this test comes back negative you have very high chances of not going into labor in the next 2 weeks. If it is positive, you may or may not go into labor.
  2. Cerclage-If I start to dilate or if my cervix thins at all I would have this done (I won't go into those icky details).
  3. Tocolytics-These are drugs they could give me if I do go into pre-term labor.

I was so excited to see that everything I thought should be done is being done. It makes me feel so much better! Now I feel as though if this baby decides it needs to make an early entrance, I at least did everything I could to thwart it's plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Comments!