Saturday, September 17, 2011

This is Where I'm Meant to Be

My last update talked about Dr S and my possible miracle...well, it didn't turn out to be the miracle I hoped for (there had been a teensy weensy itty bitty chance I had been misdiagnosed and had an auto-immunne disorder rather than cancer...too bad that didn't end up being the case!).  But seeing Dr S was still a great thing.  It turns out I have carcinoma associated retinopathy (CAR).

Basically, CAR is the result of someone with cancer producing a certain type of antibody that attacks the retina and eyes, eventually causing blindness (its very rare...go figure!).  The good news is that Dr S is hopeful that since I'm young (this usually only occurs in older people) and it has been caught at a very early stage (I have minimal vision loss so far) that treatment will stabilize my eyes and keep my vision from getting worse.

The bad news is she may want to start treatment right away which means I may not be coming home between my consult & when I start chemo :o(  I'm obviously going to do whatever she wants me to, but it will sure be hard to not come home & see my kiddos. 

I am still in the clinical trial, as long as insurance goes through.  I meet the requirements to get 2 of the 3 chemo drugs free, so I'm hoping for that, then insurance would only have to pay for one of them and my standard of care.  We'll know more this week after another eye consult & testing, a spinal tap, meeting with Dr S again and finding out about insurance.  So, I'll update again when we know more, but I know this is where I am meant to be.

Please keep praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Comments!