Saturday, September 24, 2011

Coming Together

Things are finally starting to come together. 

The last 2 days have been really rough.  I started having really bad muscle spasms in my back and stomach (bad as in curled up in a ball crying when they would happen).  I spent all of Thursday night sitting on the couch watching TV propped up by a million pillows because they were so bad I couldn't even lay down in bed to try to sleep.  When I went to my first appointment yesterday, they got so bad Joe had to get me a wheelchair and took me to supportive care (the department that helps patients with pain or any non-chemo related issues). 

I was crying and a complete mess.  They gave me an injection of morphine and an anti-inflammatory while I was there, and after 20 minutes I was feeling much better.  I left with 2 new meds, an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer specific for spasms.  I slept most of the afternoon and evening and then from 9:30 to 5 this morning!  I feel amazing after all that sleep!  And the best part is that I haven't had any muscle spasms!

So my meds have finally been worked out as far as pain goes.  I hate that I am taking so many medications...4 just for pain & spasms (I normally refuse to take meds, I just don't like to take many) but this time I don't care because they are actually working!

I'm excited that we are going to pick my parents up from the airport this morning.  I can't wait to see some family other than through Skype.  My dad is only staying through Wednesday, and then he and Joe will fly back home, but my mom is going to be staying with me for at least the next 2 months.  We are moving into our apartment tomorrow, I can't wait to be out of a hotel room.  The apartment is super nice, but rent is so much higher here than back home.  One of the main reasons we chose it was because it has a shuttle to and from the hospital and to the grocery store (my mom and I won't have a car here).  It's also great because its set up for patients so it is completely furnished and stocked with "everything but your clothes".

I still have to get a spinal tap done (we had to cancel yesterday's appointment due to being in supportive care) and we are waiting on pharmaceutical approval on 2 of my chemo drugs (if we'll get them free, our insurance approved everything except those 2 drugs), but otherwise I am tentatively set to start treatment on Friday.  I'm happy to get started and get this all over with, but I'm not looking forward to months of chemo and being away from Joe and the kids.  We were able to get 2 free round trip tickets on Southwest for me to use anytime between now and the end of December, so hopefully I'll be coming back for visits soon!

All in all things are finally coming together and I am so glad!  Thank you so much to everyone that has been praying for us, sending us love, good vibes, and any other good thoughts!  I still believe this is where I am meant to be and that Texas is where I am going to finally kick this cancer's butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Comments!